July 2, 2019

This is the start of Scrunchies

Kalia was inspired by her cousins. 
She asked to make scrunchies on July 01 as Jaydin was handing out the ones she made. When I said "for sure I can teach you and you can make them yourself" she was THRILLED. She also didn't left me forget what I said for the next 24 hours- every couple hours.
"You said I could make scrunchies"
"Can I make them tomorrow"
"Im gonna make so many scrunchies"
And so on and so on and so on.

Everyone slept in Jul 02 after our big weekend. But as soon as we were up and going Kalia got started. I showed her how to make one and kept by her side for the next couple hours as she got the hang of the machine, reminded her of steps and helped her with the threading of the elastic. Lets be honest I am ecstatic she is showing interest in a sewing craft. I learned how to make scrunchies when I was her age, the first thing I sewed actually. I didn't get quite as into it as Kalia did. But I do remember making them with Laura, rating my moms fabric cupboard and following a step by step guide in a craft book she had. 

I used youtube to refresh my memory and get the measurements. Kalia got the hang of it and that was it. She was off- seriously she happily sat at that kitchen table for HOURS over the next 4 days. She raided my fabric stash and had a ball. Justin kept commenting on the fact that she could only wear ONE at a time, but she shot back saying how she could make ones for all her fiends and family and the world eventually HAHA



Remy helped on and off- pinning was her job. Let me tell you what. Remy has been playing with my sewing pins for YEARS while I quilt. She is getting rather good with those little pins in her little fingers. Kalia was lucky for her help. When she got bored of helping Kalia she brought her toys into the dinning room so she could play right amid the chaos. Not minding a bit that she was in the way, Kalia just worked around her.




When Annaliesse saw all the fun Kalia was having she wanted in on the action. She made 1/2 of a scrunchies and decided it was just not her things. No desire to sit and make something when she could be bouncing around the house like usual. Which suited me just fine, she took way more work supervising. 

This is also the day Barker got sick. So sick. 
He asked for cuddles which I happily obliged and we both fell asleep for a bit.
I got up to help with a sewing problem in scrunchies mania and he went right back to sleep on the couch with all the commotion going on- the biggest clue he was actually sick.
Poor Bobby was sick for a whole week. 




By the end of 4 days Kalia had made 90 scrunchies. She got into quite the grove and twice woke me up in the morning with the sound of the sewing machine. This Mommy is praying her love of this little craft my blossom into a desire to quilt or sew one day!


No comments: