November 21, 2013

High River Ward Historian

After the flood the High River Ward decided they wanted to record and remember the experiences of each family. The ward Historian is going to compile each families story as faith and answers to prayers became a everyday part of life for all of us last June.

I wrote this all out, then figured I would want my kids to read it someday too- so I blogged it.

I originally was not going to submit anything, because I still feel guilt considering how lucky our family was in regards to our home and possessions. But Justin and I received a answer to prayer that week. A answer we had been searching for quite awhile.

Everyone was evacuated Thursday, and that following Wednesday the temple opened its doors to High River ward members who wanted to take refuge and feel the spirit of a session. I was 7 months pregnant and rather stressed, and Justin and I were still seeking for a answer regarding Justin's employment. So Mom (Shiela Chipman) and I headed up to temple to meet Justin and Grandpa who were coming after work. Well Dad didn't make it, he was busy dealing with the flooding in the schools in High River, but Justin got there early and picked up some dinner for Mom and I.

Mom and I were running late, we didn't get away on time, the kids were a bit cranky, traffic was silly because of the flooding in Calgary and I wasn't feeling the greatest. We seriously considered scrapping it and just staying in the trailer for the evening. But we headed out anyways, traffic cleared and we made it with time enough to eat Subway in the car in front of the temple.

We headed in to the temple in our street clothes. Justin only had his work clothing and I was wearing a borrowed pair of shorts from my SIL, Grandma was wearing slacks and a top. Nevertheless we were welcomed with open arms, after they found out we weren't random people walking in. :)

Seeing the temple workers with smiles and hugs all around was bliss. They wanted us to be there and couldn't have been more loving. They ushered us down to the baptistry for temple clothing, and we were telling our story to a couple temple workers while they got us some clothing. And all of a sudden out of no where, Brother Watson, a temple worker, said to Justin "I have a job offer for you". But right then the other sister started rushing us out the door cause by that time the session was about to start.

I promptly forgot all about the job offer, in my mind I assumed Brother Watson knew Justin and was going to ask him about a side job. Justin gets asked all the time to do side work, a deck here, some framing there, and I was sure Justin would turn him down considering all that was going on.

Justin didn't forget and thought about Brother Watson the whole session. After the session was over, I just wanted to go home. I was tired, my feet hurt, my whole body hurt, 7 months pregnant sleeping in a trailer couch for a week was not very fun.  But Justin was insistent that needed to speak to Brother Watson. He just kept saying I need to speak to him, I grumpily told him just to forget it, or call him some other time. I still thought Justin knew him.

Justin helped me to a chair and spoke to a member of the temple presidency about the offer he had received and got Brother Watson's phone number.  As we were leaving Justin told me he didn't know Brother Watson from Adam. Brother Watson didn't know that we were looking for a new path of employment, or what a hard worker Justin is, how honest he is, or that Justin was even qualified to do the job.

 The next day Justin called, but the number was disconnected. Justin didn't even flinch, he goggled Brother Watson's name and called a couple of Watsons until he found the right one! After hanging up the phone, Justin had a tentative job offer and a interview with a international company.

Justin and I discussed the opportunity and what leaving Martin Construction would be like. We prayed that if this was what the Lord wanted for us, we would feel calm and reassured about changing jobs.

Justin's interview was the next day, and was offered the job, we knew this was the right thing for us. We knew this was our Father in Heaven answering our prayers. Justin started July 8th, 2 weeks later.

In fact, on Sunday (5 months later), the Stake Leaders had Dinner before Stake Conference, Mom being the Stake Choir leader was in attendance. She sat with the Brother Bennett the Temple President and thanked him for opening the temple to the High River residents during the flood and told him of our experience. Brother Bennett then asked "Can I tell you the other side of the story?" He told Mom that Brother Watson had been praying and attending the temple to find a good relabel employee. Someone they could train and move up to a leadership position. Justin was the answer to his prayers, just like he was a answer to ours.

In the middle of a natural disaster, with thousands of people praying, our Heavenly Father answered OUR prayers. It was such a powerful reminder that he knows his children individually and that he loves us.

He loves me, Heather Moxley. He loves Justin. He loves Kalia, Annaliesse, Barker and Remy.
He thinks abouts us, and he wants EACH of us to know of his love.

3 comments:

Kierra Irvine said...

What a really cool and amazing story! So happy for you and your family and the opportunities that Heavenly Father has blessed you with.
Love, Kierra

Lauren Bennett said...

Love it. So much good has come out of this horrific trial. Isn't that always how it works? Awesome story.

Tyler and Kristin Smith said...

you made me cry.. Heavenly Father is SO aware of all of us Its amazing. Im happy for justin and your family!